The 'Clean Burger'
May 3, 2018
It finally feels like summer, and with the warmer weather comes BBQ parties and of course burgers. Whether you’re looking for a dish to serve your family and friends on #MeatlessMonday or are the vegan in your group who needs a killer recipe for your next weekend get-together. We introduce to you – The Clean Burger!
This burger has a sweet potato and quinoa base, which makes them light, fresh and won’t leave you feeling guilty when you go for seconds. G
K+E QUICK TIP:
Get a head start by prepping the quinoa and sweet potatoes the day before you want to serve them. The advance prep actually improves the texture of the burgers, allowing them to firm up nicely before cooking.
Active time: 25 minutes Total time: 70 minutes
Ingredients (Tap to make them disappear!)
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed, or 3/4 cup pureed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup quinoa
- ½ cup oat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 2If you are using cubed raw sweet potatoes, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, spread the sweet potatoes in a single layer and roast for about 25 minutes or until soft.
- 3Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions.
- 4In a large bowl, puree the sweet potatoes by hand or use a hand-mixer. Mix the quinoa into the sweet potato puree and stir well.
- 5Add the oat flour, flax, cumin, paprika, basil, cilantro, garlic, ginger, green onions and seasonings. Combine well with your hands then form into four burgers.
- 6Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Fry the burgers for about 6 minutes on each side or until they’re golden brown.
- 7Serve with avocado slices, tomato slices, red onion slices, chipotle mayo, cilantro aioli, or guacamole (not ketchup or mustard or relish).
Kelly takes you to Nosara.
A weekend awakening with Tony Robbins.
The comfort meal for everyone that leaves you feeling light, not heavy.
Learn how to make the superfood drink that's getting all the attention.