HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
November 1, 2017
Chocolate chip cookies have always been a go to treat for adults and kids alike.
Their basic ingredients, short prep time, and beginner friendly steps make them a kitchen classic.
We knew we had to make a ‘show stopper’ chocolate chip cookie at Kelly’s Bake Shoppe, so we spent an incredible amount of time developing one that tasted just as good as the one we had when we were kids. If we’re being honest, we think it tastes better, and with healthy substitutions like coconut oil and gluten-free flour, these cookies will make you crave more after you eat the last one! All the while maintaining your plant based diet too.
Ever since we developed this recipe back in 2010, our cookies have been a success in the shop. We have made some variations to them by adding vegan ice cream in between two cookies in the summer or simply savouring one with a cup of hot cocoa in the winter – they’re also delicious sandwiched with our vegan buttercream and raspberry jam. YUM!
That’s why, when we were deciding what recipes were going to make it into our Made With Love cookbook, we knew that our homemade (award wining) Chocolate Chip Cookies had to be included. In fact, they even made it onto the cover! We broke the recipe down into easy to follow steps, perfect for the beginner plant-based baker or anyone looking for a simple, sweet, and healthy treat. And, just because we want everyone to enjoy this delicious treat with us, we’ve decided to share the recipe here. XO
About 20 Large Cookies!
40 minutes start to finish
Ingredients (Tap to make them disappear!)
- 2 TBSP ground flax seed
- 1 CUP gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 CUP Oat Flour
- 1/2 CUP Sorghum Flour
- 1 TSP Baking Soda
- 1/2 TSP xantham gum
- 1/2 TSP sea salt
- 1 1/4 CUP Sucanat
- 2/3 CUP Melted Coconut Oil
- 1/4 CUP organic cane sugar
- 2 TBSP Vegan Butter
- 2 TSP vanilla extract
- 1 CUP vegan chocolate chips
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2In a small bowl, combine the ground flax seed with 6 tablespoons of filtered water and set aside to thicken.
- 3In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, oat flour, sorghum flour, baking soda, xanthin gum and salt.
- 4In a large bowl, beat together the Sucanat, coconut oil, sugar and vegan butter until smooth. Beat in flax mixture and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- 5Add the flour mixture to the coconut oil mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- 6Drop heaping teaspoons of the cookie dough, about 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets.
- 7Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, or until the edges turn golden brown. (For chewy cookies, bake for just 9 minutes.)
- 8Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for about 10 minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely.
Kelly's Bake Shoppe is magical - we already know that. It's time for the rest of the world to find out too.
Kelly takes you to Nosara.
Ooey, gooey and oh so sweet.
Kelly’s Bake Shoppe is more than just cupcakes.