Creamy White Bean & Garlic Soup
October 7, 2017
It’s loaded with protein from the beans and garlic aids with immune boosting power. I had a soup like this in Italy, in the fall of 2014, and was instantly mesmerized by the depth of the flavours and the creaminess of the pureed beans. I wanted to go back to what I had experienced in Italy. Comfort food on chilly evenings.
Once back home, I made a few different experimental batches until this final one was created. Since then, this soup has turned into a favourite in my home and I share with others all the time.
If you don’t have three cans of cannellini beans in your cupboard, I’ve been known to do substitutions for the cannellini beans in this soup such as navy beans and butter beans.
Adding cream is optional. For me, this soup is creamy enough so please add at your discretion.
I use shallots, instead of the typical onion in this recipe, to add the more full and rich flavour to this soup. If you don’t have shallots on hand, you can still use yellow onions.
This soup can be ready to eat in 30 minutes and it freezes incredibly well too.
Ingredients (Tap to make them disappear!)
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 2 large shallot, peeled and finely diced
- 3 15 oz cans Cannellini Beans
- 1 tsp dried sage or 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 litre vegetable broth
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and cut in half
- 1/4 tsp Salt or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup soy milk or coconut milk or 1/2 cup cashew cream. OPTIONAL
- 1In a medium sized soup pot, add olive oil and shallots and cook for 5 minutes or until shallots are softened.
- 2Add cannellini beans and sage and stir. Add the veggie stock and bring the soup to a simmer. Add the garlic and allow to simmer for 15 minutes to incorporate the flavours.
- 3Carefully puree the soup in two batches and blend until smooth. Put pureed soup back into the pot and add the optional cream, if desired, and the pepper and salt. Stir well and keep warm over very low heat.
Kelly takes you to Nosara.
The addictive salad recipe that you can make your own!
Everything you need to add elements of a plant-based diet into your life.
The recipe you'll be snacking on all season long.