Blueberry Oat Muffins
April 26, 2018
Who doesn’t love blueberry muffins? Well these tasty little guys are one of our favourites at home and in the Bake Shoppe. It’s important to use wild blueberries for these. In fact, you should choose wild blueberries whenever possible because they have more than double the antioxidants of commercially farmed blueberries and more flavor. Go wild!
Makes 12 muffins
Active time: 30 minutes Total time: 55-60 minutes
Ingredients (Tap to make them disappear!)
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 cup GF rolled oats
- 1¼ cups GF all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sorghum flour
- ¼ cup arrowroot starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup palm shortening
- ¾ cup coconut sugar or Sucanat
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen wild blueberries
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease lightly.
- 2Combine flax meal with 6 tablespoons water and set aside to thicken. In a small saucepan, warm the milk to a simmer before adding the oats. Turn off the heat and let the oats soak for 20 minutes.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour, sorghum flour, arrowroot, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, xanthan gum and salt.
- 4In a medium mixing bowl, with a hand mixer, beat the shortening, coconut sugar, vanilla and maple syrup until smooth. Stir in the softened oats and the flax mixture.
- 5Add the oat mixture to the flour mixture, combining the ingredients by hand to keep the batter tender. Fold in the blueberries with a wooden spoon.
- 6Make the crumble topping. In a small bowl, combine the oats, palm shortening, coconut sugar and cinnamon.
- 7Use an ice cream scoop to distribute the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Sprinkle with crumble topping.
- 8Bake for 22-24 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Let the muffins cool completely before serving.
Everything you need to tackle the globe on your own!
The truth about sunscreen and the secret magical power of the carrot.
Just like mom used to make!
Hearty and healthy, perfect for the Thanksgiving season.