Colourful Root Vegetable Pancakes
February 27, 2017
Whether pancakes are a treat for Pancake Tuesday, or a Sunday brunch staple, they’re something that almost everyone loves. They’re delicious, perfect for any meal, and are even tasty to eat leftover as a snack or on the run! We’ve been known to use them as toast the next day (put them in a toaster) and top them with avocado or hummus.
The only problem is that with eggs, milk, and processed batter in a typical pancake, they aren’t exactly healthy. That’s why we’ve decided to make this plant-based alternative that you’ll love (probably even more than regular pancakes). Try this fun recipe with hits of root veggies and fun colours and let us know what you think!
15 ( 5 in each colour )
Ingredients (Tap to make them disappear!)
- 1 Beets Medium size
- 1 organic sweet potato Medium size
- 1 White Potato Medium Size
- 1 cup White Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Brown Rice Flour or Oat Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Chia Seeds
- 2 Flaxmeal Eggs (2 tablespoons + 5 tablespoons warm water)
- 1 1/2 cup Almond Milk or Cashew Milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1Boil beetroot, sweet potato and white potato until they can be pierced by a fork.
- 2Peel all vegetables and puree each root vegetable separately using a food processor or blender.
- 3Measure 1/2 cup of each root vegetable and let rest until room temperature in 3 separate bowls
- 4In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- 5Separate the pancake batter into thirds (approximately 3 x 2 cups) and add to each of the root vegetable puree bowls. Whisk together until blended, feel free to add extra nut milk if any of the batter appears to thicken too much.
- 6Lightly oil a flat griddle pan. Heat griddle over medium-high heat. Pour batter, approximately 1/4 cup, onto griddle. Batter should "sizzle" when it hits the pan.
- 7Cook for approximately 3-5 minutes. Flip pancakes when bubbles appear all over the surface of the pancake and begin to pop. The pancake should begin to look almost dry. Flip and cook another 1-1 1/2 minutes.
- 8Serve with melted vegan butter spread, salsa or a salad! Extras can be frozen and popped into the toaster for later use!
How to stop your inbox from hi-jacking your life.
Kelly's Bake Shoppe is magical - we already know that. It's time for the rest of the world to find out too.
The healthy grab and go that will keep you satisfied and full of energy.